Scottsdale 2012: Update on Herbie

The hammer has just fallen on Herbie at the Gooding & Company auction in Scottsdale. I've been patiently awaiting this one. Bidding started slow at $30,000. and slowly crept up, struggling to get to $50,000 before bidding finally ended at $60,000. As a fellow owner of one of these cars, I would have liked to hear a little better description of the car at the start as there was no mention that the car was in fact a true movie car on the block, but I guess I can't fault them. I thought the auction estimate of $75,000 to $125,000 was optimistic, but I felt it was a realistic price of what the remaining Herbie cars were worth. I think what may have held this car back was the lack of a Disney pink slip. Had that been present, this may have shot bidding through the roof. But that being said, this car came from some very prestigious collections. There are also not many that are as untouched and original as this car, and one would have to remember that when purchasing a car like this. They weren't built to be show pieces, they just had to show up good on film. I'm certain that the new owner will be extremely happy with his purchase, and of course the value can only go up from here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © Automotive News & Concepts. All Rights Reserved.